Stupid Northrend

Whipwreck
Failbear

Stupid Northrend

Post by Whipwreck » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:16 am

So right now leveling is going meh speed wise. Should be a lot faster, but Northrend is killing my comp. I know on beta it wasn't this hard on it. What ever has changed from beta to live is taxing my notebook video something bad. The only other comp I have atm is one that only has 1.5g of RAM (3 slot but one slot runs at half speed) and an old ati card. It can't even run Hyjal. So I fear that I may not be able to really play here shortly if this shit keeps up. Probably be able to get to 80, with tabbing out and letting everything cool down for a bit, but I just hope instances are a lot less demanding on my video. Outland is still fine and dandy, even with ass loads of people in it.
"Once you've made the philosophical decision not to commit suicide, you're committed to being an optimist."

Saldrex

Re: Stupid Northrend

Post by Saldrex » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:42 am

I noticed that northrend taxed my comp move than any of the previous zones as well. Hopefully most of it is the mass amount of people in all the zones that is causing some of it and hopefully it wont be quite so bad for you when the zones die down a bit.

OnlyJames

Post by OnlyJames » Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:24 pm

yeah I'd make a guess that live is worse than beta just because of the numbers of people. it should settle out soon

Marinefury

Post by Marinefury » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:08 pm

Northrend is killing my computer as well. Granted it's not a horrible thing because of what I run, but to see a 50% reduction in fps normally doesn't seem right. When I was off on my own in zones that had 1 or 2 other people it wasn't as bad. But yeah, something else was done to the game to change it.

MF
Aggro means I'm winning.

Image Kiti during training.

Whipwreck
Failbear

Post by Whipwreck » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:31 pm

I just hope I'll be able to continue to play. Seems like I'm almost going to need a machine that can run Crysis at max settings to play in Northrend... my worst part though is I play on a notebook with integrated graphics. So normally this wouldn't be bad if it was a tower since I could more easily keep it cool, but with it being a notebook im running on avg at about 140-145 deg. This is with extra fans ( yes I redesigned the pringles fan) on my desk as well as my new USB Macguyver fans. Kind of funny too with the temp thing, there is a nifty lil program out there called Hot Babe. When you comp is running at good cool temps she is fully clothed. When you start getting hot she gets unclothed. http://dindinx.net/hotbabe/ james might like it ;P
"Once you've made the philosophical decision not to commit suicide, you're committed to being an optimist."

Whipwreck
Failbear

Post by Whipwreck » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:33 pm

Yes hotbabe is linux but I run wow both through Wine and XP with the same temp issues.

Saldrex

Post by Saldrex » Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:51 am

I know my laptop had heating issues and would randomly shut off due to them. I used some programs to mod my processor to run on lower power when it done not need it and clocked it down a tad bit. I know on my other laptop I lowered the heat from idle on the desktop at 78 degrees celcius to about 40. That made the biggest difference in temp for me. Not sure if it is something you want to attempt or not though. I Know it became the only way I could raid black temple on my pally and luckily every time my comp did shut off from heat was not during a boss fight lol.

Whipwreck
Failbear

Post by Whipwreck » Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:35 am

Mine throttles just fine. Acer has a nice management program plus i use NHC to monitor and control things. The heat is purely from the video taxing. I can beat the processor up with out heat issues at all.

Saldrex

Post by Saldrex » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:09 am

There might be some software mods to do the same thing to you graphics card but I don't think it would fix your performance in Northrend. Would probably lower the heat on the other hand but whats the point if it keeps you from playing : P

I do know with a cooling pad it keeps one of my laptops from letting its video card over heat. Without it I can run wow for about 5 mins before having to restart my comp but with it can actually use it for wow. I have a feeling you have done quite a few of these things though. Oh wait I have one other idea that maybe you might not have tried so much but I had yet another computer that would over heat if i did not put it on some kinda stilts for more air flow though I have a feeling you might have tried it.

Not sure what you use as fans for your cooling but I have used http://www.xoxide.com/evercool-nbfa1-notebook-fan.html and it lowered my temp by at least 3 degrees celsius which made all the difference between me overheating and not. Its was not too expensive either compared to other cooling devices. I used it along with a cooling pad to keep from overheating during the heat of the summer. I did find it on some other site for about $6. Hopefully you can get your computer running northrend smoothly.

Rahliac

Post by Rahliac » Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:18 pm

I use a Targus chill pad for my laptop. It seems to fix my overheating issues. You can pick them up at Wally World or Office Depot.
http://www.amazon.com/Targus-PA248U-Not ... B0000AKA8Y