Nostalgia

Daaman

Nostalgia

Post by Daaman » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:04 pm

Seeing as Alliance weren't allowed shamans until Burning Crusade came out, I've often found myself wondering: "What were the original Talent Trees like?"

Well tonight I finally found em... And I suppose with the right gear, an enhancement or elemental could be viable, but none of the gear at the time was itemized that way. So it woulda been a bit of a pain. I hear enhance could tear some serious shit up in PvP with chaining WF procs though. They also seemed to be designed around an off-tank kind of perspective, interesting.

Ever find yourself wondering about the good 'ol days? Back when my mage main had to actually spec 5 points to get insta-cast arcane explosion, and all of us had to be frost cause we couldn't hurt anything in MC? A warrior could be a pretty outstanding tank with only 15 points in Prot? Pallies.... Well you poor guys were gimps, sorry, havin to rebuff every 5 minutes on 40 people, and your only realistic spec was holy. Druids didn't have Moonkin, or Tree form, and had to spec into Hurricane and Innervate? Huntards actually had to get a book drop so we could kill Magmadar, and also had to pray their FD worked, and the taunt wasn't resisted every pull (i remember our hunters used to have the worst repair bills). Man, I don't even remember, but weren't most locks Affliction, and couldn't really do anything unless it was a really long fight? Do priest even have to spec Holy Nova anymore?

It's crazy sometimes to think how far this game has come, and think back on what it used to be. Obviously I've been looking at the old trees, and I'm still absolutely amazed at how little they are! They're like babies, so small and cute! I almost didn't even recognize them.

Back then I was a mage, who wanted to kill a paladin named Zelos for taking my Azuresong Mageblade. Who then became a warrior, and awesome was the day I finally got my Quel'Serrar! The jokes of using me as a weapon never got old when I was in my Wrath set, being a gnome. And does anyone remember the Force Reactive Disk? I still had mine going into BC, but they deleted it and the pattern!!! We need more items like that, it was really fun!

Back in the day when Alliance DESTROYED Horde in PvP because we normally out geared them in progression? Back when Alterac Valley would last DAYS! Or even before then, where the most common PvP occurred at the X-Roads? Mortal Strike decimated all! Mages could PoM Pyro anyone instantly dead! Rogues were, well, just like they are now, everyones' most hated nemesis. 1 shot ambushes on my mage used to piss me off! Thank god I was able to turn the tide when I played my warrior! Overpower pwned you guys!

Anyone else got memories to share?

Oh, and uh, just in case you're interested:
http://wowvault.ign.com/View.php?view=T ... &build=1.3
One of WoW's deadliest professions... Beware the flower!

Zalm

Re: Nostalgia

Post by Zalm » Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:10 pm

check your pm buddy

Daaman

Post by Daaman » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:27 pm

Read and replied to.

Another thing I'd like to mention... Did anyone know that Grounding Totem used to be able to be talented to Absorb MORE than 1 spell? Yeah, up to 3... How cool would that be eh?
One of WoW's deadliest professions... Beware the flower!

Kalyn

Post by Kalyn » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:56 pm

two words: improved pounce.

Odeen

Post by Odeen » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:09 pm

8 debuff slots FTL! But shadow bolt spam was pretty much the way to go from MC through Sunwell. And I pulled aggro on everything. Wait, you say that hasn't changed?

Whipwreck
Failbear

Post by Whipwreck » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:35 pm

Kalyn wrote:two words: improved pounce.
seconded
"Once you've made the philosophical decision not to commit suicide, you're committed to being an optimist."

Contract

Post by Contract » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:46 pm

I remember PvP'n when it was only Cenarius vs Cenarius and there was this one Shaman that would pwn the living crap you of you no matter what. Esone might remember his name.
I am now the best of the pile of amid my pals -Evomiaemema