China Says No More Movies And TV Shows About Time Travel

Dae

China Says No More Movies And TV Shows About Time Travel

Post by Dae » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:56 pm

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/201104 ... avel.shtml
It's no secret that time travel stories in movies and TV are a bit cliche at this point, but that doesn't stop people from using them repeatedly. It's just such an easy plot device. But, don't expect to see much more of it in China. Ima Fish alerts us to the news that the General Bureau of Radio, Film and Television in China has announced that time travel stories are no longer allowed on TV or in movies. Apparently, such stories are "disrespectful to history" and that many of the "stories are totally made up." Apparently, the General Bureau of Radio, Film and Television in China is unfamiliar with the definition of fiction.

It sounds like time travel stories had become especially popular in Chinese media, and it sounds like someone at the Bureau just got sick of it. Along similar lines, the Bureau has apparently also declared that no more TV/movie versions shall be made of "the four great classical novels of China." Honestly, it really feels like someone (or some people) involved in this Bureau just got sick of seeing similar shows and decided to issue a ban.

Of course, the real question is how long will it take for people in China to create a video that involves going back in time to restock the General Bureau of Radio, Film and Television with people who seem less silly?
I don't ever want to feel; Like I did that day; Take me to the place I love; Take me all the way
- "Under the Bridge" Red Hot Chili Peppers