I've been hacked!

Akiava

I've been hacked!

Post by Akiava » Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:22 pm

Unfortunately it is true! Before work I usually check my armory page, today I noticed the achievement "Got my Mind on My Money" was attained at around 4am. This raised an immediate red flag, thankfully I brought my laptop today, and I logged onto WoW. I logged on to find myself in Sholazar and my hearth set there. All my equipment and items were missing and my gold was gone too. However, the hacker was gracious enough to not vendor the gear I had equipped, but my mage and shaman were stripped and all their gear was vendored. I then proceeded to fly to Dalaran to reset my hearth and check my bank. My bank had been swiped except for gear which couldn't be vendored and some tabards. Also, my guild status prohibits me from withdrawing from the guild bank so thankfully nothing was taken out. Eventually I got around to check my other characters and all the equipment on them had been swiped except my rogue. I created a ticket, changed my password, and created a new e-mail address unique only for my battle.net account. Also, I decided to buy an authenticator. It sucks it took someone to hack my account for me to finally buy one.

Yet, to be brutally honest, I am not upset about this. It's just a game and things happen. Hopefully, all my equipment and items will be restored, but in the meantime I am not going to let this get me down and I will continue to play. It is disheartening that people are out to take advantage of others, but that is the world we live in. I encourage everyone to periodically change their passwords, maybe buy an authenticator, even switch e-mails periodically to avoid being hacked.

Syvere

Re: I've been hacked!

Post by Syvere » Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:30 pm

i got an authenticator (2 actually) from blizzcon. Before that I thought they were unnecessary. I never got hacked, but the authenticator provides so much extra security its great. Especially in times like now when account theft is at an all-time high.
[url=http://www.zetbit.com/][img]http://www.zetbit.com/sig-2065290.jpg[/img][/url]

OnlyJames

Post by OnlyJames » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:17 pm

using good security practices will keep you safe. but you must be ever vigilant.

Whipwreck
Failbear

Post by Whipwreck » Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:42 pm

if you have an IOS device or Android device you can get the free authenticator app.
"Once you've made the philosophical decision not to commit suicide, you're committed to being an optimist."